Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Chicken Report


Well today we welcomed some new members into our home, six baby chicks. I would like to introduce you to Lucy, Ethel, Gladys, Martha, Sunny, and Chirpy. 

I spent a lot of time debating whether or not to make the leap into chicken ownership. I will admit that my husband was less than thrilled with the idea, but this was something I have truly wanted since we moved to our home. Also, I felt this year my children were old enough to be more of a help than an obstacle when it came to the care of the chickens. We also do not have a chicken coop, but after much investigation on the internet, I found some economical and easy plans. I finally decided this was something I could pull off on my own if I had to.
I bought my girls at Tractor Supply, the other items that I purchased were a heat lamp, a feeder, a water container, bedding, feed, grit, and a deep storage container. This should get them through the first four weeks. Total price $48.00.
 I could not be more thrilled with my little baby girls. The kids love the baby chicks, and I think they will offer a wonderful learning experience. I must admit though, the dog is less than thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment